Search Amazon Hunting and Fishing on Amazon
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrs Ultralite
  • 2 Post By choppedliver
  • 2 Post By welder

Thread: Help Android users!! Looking for some apps.

Help Android users!! Looking for some apps.

Friday, I upgraded my iPhone 4 to a new HTC ONE... yes UPgraded (sorry Dale). This phone is awesome and does things Apple hasn't even dreamed about yet. It has screen that is large enough I can see it, and in landscape mode, I can actually type on it using my thumbs on both hands. It uses the 'Beats Sound' with twin front facing speakers, and the sound quality is unbelievable for a phone. I have never heard bass like that from earbud type headphones. Beats Audio earbuds are included with it.

However, compared to Apple's apps, the available android apps seem to be serious lacking in quality. Even companies or organizations who have an app in both, the Android version doesn't seem to be up to par with the Apple version. So far, I have found fairly decent replacements for most of the common Apple apps I was using with the exception of a few.

1. Alarm Clock - I need one that is fairly simple, has big blue digital numbers, multiple alarms in the same day, works in landscape mode, and will stay on all night functioning as a nightstand clock. My phone is on charge all night so I'm not worried about battery drain. Does not have to play music...alarm tone is fine.

2. General Weather - Looking for a clean app with high quality interactive radar map, that will work in landscape mode, current weather with wind, sunrise-sunset, etc, forecast weather, and layers. Push notifications for weather alerts would be nice but not required. The Weather Channel Max app was pretty good until the last update, but now they dumbed it down so it looks like a cartoon with very little useful information. Will not rotate either.

3. Hurricane Tracking - After using Hurricane Pro on the iPhone, I'm spoiled for sure. Looking for a clean app with high quality interactive tracking map, that will work in landscape mode. Should have advisories with automatic updates, and all of the other usually stuff.

I've looked at several dozen in each category already, an most don't measure up. I don't care if the apps are free, but I hate advertising, and I don't mind paying for an app if I get what I'm paying for.

What are you guys using? I'm sure some of you have found Android apps for each category that I haven't seen yet. So post up and let us all know! If you have anything else that's cool, post that too. If you can post a link to the app in addition to it's name, that will be a big help also.

Thanks,

~ Pat

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away!

Illustrious High Mermaid Mrs Ultralite's Avatar
    Sounds like it is about the size of my iPad Pat...

1. Not sure if Android has it but Intellicast is a great weather app that uses vectors to show which way storm cells are moving and whether they are rotation, strong or contain hail. I love it.

2. iPhone has its own alarm clock...shocker that Android doesn't. If you still have your old phone you can use that. I have an old iPhone I keep by the bed just for that purpose.

3. Hurricane Pro is the bomb and there isn't anything close for Android that I have heard of. Sorry Charlie...
    Snagged Line and choppedliver like this.
    "I think the best possible social program is a job." Ronald Reagan

Salty Slippery Speckled Trout sealark's Avatar

Re: Help Android users!! Looking for some apps.

Weather bug elite and hurricane hound play store is the place to get apps. Google account is great also.

Frazzled Flounder Founder choppedliver's Avatar
    Pat, I don't think there is any lacking in quality, I think it's just harder to find the quality among the junk clutter, because there is SOOOOO Much crap cluttering up the store. This has to do with a few things, namely, Apple's smaller user base, higher cost/hassle entry barrier to programmers, and their some would say "draconian" approval process. It's always been about control with Apple. Control the hardware, control the software. Minimum flexibility, but maximum quality. There is pros and cons to both systems, and one of them is there is a lot of crap to sort through to find the good stuff on android.

Check the recommendations, highest reviewed, and google "best xyz android 2013",

Ive tried several weather apps...to me, they are just weather apps , everyone has their priorities. Here's some geeks sites about "best weather apps " .
    Best Android Weather Apps 2013
    Best Weather Apps for iPhone and Android | TIME.com
    The Best Weather App for Android
    Best weather app: 10 we recommend | News | TechRadar

I like "radar now" for instant radar picture.

My clock that comes with mine is awesome, but it might be made by samsung. All the different android phone makers include their "custom " software, on top of what android comes with, this is a big difference between Ios and Android.

Heres a few "best of" for clocks
    The best alarm clock apps for Android | Android Central
    10 Best Android Clock Widgets | AndroidWidgetCenter.com
    4 awesome alarm clock apps for Android - Android Community
    5 Best alarm clock apps for Android to wake you up on time | Samsung Center

And some hurricane

Hurricane
    HurricaneTrack.com – News, Information, Live Hurricane CoverageImproving our iPhone app and getting an Android version ready for the 2013 hurricane season HurricaneTrack.com - News, Information, Live Hurricane Coverage
    Hurricane Tracker App for iPhone & Android | American Red Cross
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stormeye&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rricanes&hl=en

Let us know which ones you like. That stormeye looks purty in the pictures

Frazzled Flounder Founder choppedliver's Avatar
    oh and if you have a gmail account(assume you do since you have an android) and you are on your PC, you can surf the google play store from your PC, and click "install" on an app, and it will send it to your phone. You don't have to browse on your phone if you don't want too. It's a lot more convenient from your PC
    patoz and kahala boy like this.

I love my Alarm Clock on my HTC 4G , it has bookoo settings.
    and if I have a good connection about any weather/radar works well or I look out side. LOL
    choppedliver and Kamo like this.
    Lester

Alloy cuz I don't like to wax...

Dale,

It's bigger than the iPhone 5 but not as big as the Samsung Galaxy or an iPad, so I don't look like someone from the 70's with a ghetto blaster on my shoulder when I'm talking on it. It does have a nice clock with an alarm and multiple settings and local weather info, but it will not stay lit all night long. When the phone goes to sleep, so does the clock display but the alarm will still go off. I kept my IPhone as a backup, iPod, camera, etc. and WiFi works so I can still get updates. I have a great Alarm Clock app for it called 'Best Alarm' which does everything and stays lit all night so you can see it just like a old style nightstand clock. I may just use the iPhone like you said.

I have Intellicast on my computer and was reviewing their app when the tornadoes hit the Oklahoma area, and it does look promising. I PMed Hurricane Pro on FB and they do not have an Android version, nor do they plan on offering one.

Ron,

I have a Gmail account also, and have been shopping in the Play store, as well as Amazon's App Store. I've found some good ones in both. Hurricane hound does look pretty good too. Thanks...

Chris,

I'm going to go through all the links you posted one by one. I think you're right, there are so many crap apps it's hard to find the good ones. I load all my apps via my computer, even my iPhone ones. Phone surfing, even with the larger screen is a pain.

I think we already did this one year, but with 'H' season coming up we might need to make a sticky thread with all of the apps in it, along with websites.

Lester, I'll bet you have a Weather Rock, don't you? I know you do!!

Name:  Weather Stone - 02.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  59.6 KB

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just piss on it and walk away!