Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How Trains Turn Without Falling Off the Tracks

Post Thanks / Like

How Trains Turn Without Falling Off the Tracks

The Science of How Trains Turn Without Falling Off the Tracks

Have you ever thought about how trains stay on the tracks when they round corners? Trains typically have wheels that are connected together by a fixed axle, meaning that the wheels on both sides of the train always turn at the same speed. This can present problems when turning, because one wheel has to cover more distance than the other.

Most vehicles solve this problem by decoupling the wheels. In a car, for instance, the left and right wheels turn at different speeds when rounding corners. But that's impossible to do in a train, so how do locomotives stay on a bending rail? The above video by Numberphile explains.
    The Science of How Trains Turn Without Falling Off the Tracks

A little confusing at first but then it makes perfect sense. This is also the same principle that allowed old time sailors to roll wooden barrels of rum up and down two poles suspended from the ship to the dock.

Protecting Those Who Defend America

My Ambulance to Camper Trailer Conversion Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm. now I know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it is something i had never even thought about. But now I know and if anyone ever asks me,l I have the answer. Knowledge....ain't nothing like it!!

Thanks Pat!!
    I'm a realtor in Pensacola. Need to buy or sell A home or property??? contact me and lets make it happen!!!
    I am an expert in foreclosures and short sales and foreclosures and have a very high success rate!!

4. Likes patoz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned something too. I always thought it was the wheel flanges that kept the wheels on the track and steered the trains. I never even thought about the speed differential in the wheels going around curves.

Now you can impress all your friends with your new found knowledge. I doubt anyone else knows how this works either, unless they are a mechanical engineer maybe.

Protecting Those Who Defend America

My Ambulance to Camper Trailer Conversion Build Thread

one block pass the Bird's Nest Pensacola Fl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool!!!
    As Long as your Having fun Fishing,, Then Catching a Fish Is Just One Hell Of a Great Bonus!! Dwayne