Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery Maintenance Time

Salty Slippery Speckled Trout
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are yall Pinching the ends soldering them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrab View Post
    Are yall Pinching the ends soldering them?
    Depending on where you get the copper ones, they come with a low temperature solder pellet that you drop into the connector first, and then insert the cable end. Next, you heat the connector with a heat gun or small torch just enough to melt the solder and let if flow through the copper strands and coat the inside of the connector. Force the wire in as far as it will go while this is happening. Some people crimp the connector as well, and then reheat it ensure good electrical bonding.

After it cools some, you add the heat shrink with adhesive over the joint and heat it with a heat gun until it shrinks down tightly around the connection. Be careful not to overheat it.

Bobby can probably answer this, but I'm not sure if a solder pellet can be used with the tinned ones, but I don't see why not. I have a crimper that you put the connection in and then hit it with a hammer to make the crimp. If I did many of these, I would spend the money and get me a good set of hydraulic crimpers.
    Last edited by patoz; 01-10-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Protecting Those Who Defend America

My Ambulance to Camper Trailer Conversion Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by purple haze View Post
    The plot thicken. I took both of the white batteries to have them checked out. First stop to Advance auto reviled that one of them was BAD. OK next stop at Auto Zone also reviled that one of the batteries was bad. But not the same battery as Advance auto.. I then went to Power Source for a third opinion. Now the results. Both batteries checked good.
    I think I will just replace both of them.
    I've found over the years many of the people working in the dime a dozen auto parts stores are poorly trained and don't know how to properly test most of what they claim to test. As an old aircraft maintenance guy i'm sure you have seen the same thing Gene. Replacing them solves the doubt and you could use the old ones in your truck or maybe the flounder boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you solder the ends....Don't use to much.....It makes a hard spot in the cable.

I don't solder them anymore... I use to Crimp [not pinch.....LOL] and solder them. Now I just Crimp them.

It was a big expense at the time to buy this tool.. But I use it all the time.

That tool goes as low as 6ga......and most hand crimpers go as high as 10ga. This leaves a void for 8ga.

But I have a hand ratcheting crimper that has 8ga on it.

Gurgling Guppie
    Post Thanks / Like
    XShark good to know if I need to use your tool.
    whyme

Post Thanks / Like
    Marine Wire Termination - Everything you need to know about the tools, terminals, sizes, and procedures.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/w...ination&page=1

Lots of info at the links provide also!

Protecting Those Who Defend America

My Ambulance to Camper Trailer Conversion Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12